• What were the long-term consequences of the peace treaties of 1919–23?
• What were the consequences of the failures of the League in the 1930s?
• How far was Hitler’s foreign policy to blame for the outbreak of war in 1939?
• Was the policy of appeasement justified?
• How important was the Nazi-Soviet Pact?
• Why did Britain and France declare war on Germany in September 1939?
By the end of this unit it is expected that all students will: Be able to describe the reasons for the outbreak of war in 1939.
Most students will: Be able to explain the reasons why war broke out in 1939.
Some learners will have progressed further and will: Be able to prioritise their reasons.
Exam question assessment in class at the end of the unit and exam question for homework.
How to help your child
Discuss the Policy of Appeasement and whether this was the policy that Britain should have pursued. Discuss the main reasons for war breaking out and prioritise them: was it more the Policy of Appeasement or Hitler’s actions that caused the war?