Science & Additional Science

Students who study science (often referred to as ‘core science’) and additional science will be awarded two GCSEs at the end of key stage 4. Both the science and additional science GCSEs are equally weighted across the three disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics. Students are taught by three subject specialists. Students sit six exams at the end of year 11 as shown in the table below.

Science GCSE Biology paper (B1B2B3) Chemistry paper (C1C2C3) Physics paper (P1P2P3)
Additional Science GCSE Biology paper (B4B5B6) Chemistry paper (C4C5C6) Physics paper (P4P5P6)

Exam scores make up 75% of the final grade for both GCSEs. The remaining 25% comes from controlled assessment scores. Controlled assessments are tasks carried out by students in lesson time to test their ability to work scientifically. The core science controlled assessments come in two parts: a case study and a data analysis task (both worth 12.5%). The additional science controlled assessment is a single investigation task worth 25%. These tasks are carefully selected by the science department to enable every student to achieve their potential. Students are rigorously prepared for the assessments before they commence. Students initially work on the assessment in limited control (whereby they may communicate with peers and teachers for specific reasons) before completing the assessment in high control (exam conditions). Key controlled assessment dates are available on the school calendar.