Triple Science

Students are selected for triple science on the grounds that they have the potential to achieve 3 A grades or higher in their GCSEs. Students studying triple science have no additional curriculum time made available (compared with other KS4 students); consequently the demands of triple science are very high. Rather than studying for generic science qualifications, students study for three GCSEs in biology, chemistry and physics and are taught by subject specialists. Students sit nine exams at the end of year 11 as shown in the table below.

Biology GCSE Chemistry GCSE Physics GCSE
Paper 1: B1B2B3 Paper 1: C1C2C3 Paper 1: P1P2P3
Paper 2: B4B5B6 Paper 2: C4C5C6 Paper 2: P4P5P6
Paper 3: B7 Paper 3: C7 Paper 3: P7

 

Exam scores make up 75% of the final grade for each GCSE. The remaining 25% comes from controlled assessment scores. Controlled assessments are tasks carried out by students to test their ability to work scientifically. The controlled assessment for each GCSE is a single investigation task worth 25%. These tasks are carefully selected by the science department to enable every student to achieve their potential. Students are rigorously prepared for the assessments before they commence. Students initially work on the assessment in limited control (whereby they may communicate with peers and teachers for specific reasons) before completing the assessment in high control (exam conditions). Key controlled assessment dates are available on the school calendar. Students complete two controlled assessment tasks in year 10 and one in year 11.